Monkfish Skewers with Harissa Marinade and Homemade Slaw
Our thick and meaty monkfish makes for the perfect skewers.
Monkfish is the perfect fish to absorb a variety of flavour but works particularly well with harissa paste. Harissa originated from North Africa. It contains garlic, red, slightly sweet chili and lemon with other herbs to create an aromatic and peppery paste. Perfect to marinade monkfish in. Grill these at barbeques or in your oven to create a super easy dish you’ll never want to stop eating.
For the Monkfish Skewers
- 2 x Monkfish tail fillets or 2 packs of monkfish pieces. (400g of fish in total)
- 3tbsp Harissa Pasta
- 2tbsp olive oil plus more for grilling the monkfish
- 1tsp Aleppo Pepper
- 2 Preserved Lemons – Chopped
- 2 Limes – zested and freshly squeezed
- Handful of coriander – freshly chopped
For the Slaw
- 2 large carrots – shredded
- 1 large green apple – shredded
- 1 Fennel – finely chopped
- Handful of watercress
- Juice of half a lemon freshly squeezed
- 1. If using monkfish tails, using a sharp knife, cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- 2. In a bowl, mix the harissa paste, olive oil, lime zest and ¾ of the lime juice and set aside.
- 3. Lightly salt the monkfish and add to the marinade from step 2. Set aside for 30 minutes to infuse.
- 4. Mix all the slaw ingredients in a salad bowl with 1tbsp of olive oil, salt to taste and a the lemon juice.
- 5. Carefully skewer the monkfish pieces. If you are using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them beforehand to prevent them from burning.
- 6. If using a griddle pan: Heat the griddle pan until hot. Brush with olive oil to prevent the skewers from sticking.
- 7. Griddle the skewers on 3 minutes each side until cooked through.
- 8. If using a BBQ: Heat the BBQ as you normally would.
- 9. Ensuring the skewers are not over direct heat, add them to the BBQ and cook on each side for 3 minutes until cooked through.
- 10. All methods: Remove the skewers from the heat and place them on a serving platter. Spoon over the preserved lemons and remaining lime juice. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve immediately with the slaw.