Pan Fried Sea Bream With Queen Butter Bean & Tomato Stew
This dish is the best fish stew we have ever tried. A true summer stew.
It is light, flavourful and jam-packed with a range of vegetables. It is also incredibly easy to make and loads of the ingredients can be substituted for whatever you have in your fridge. Don’t have broccoli? Add beans instead. Don’t have butter beans - add cannellini beans! It’s also incredible the next day, but we doubt you’ll have any leftovers. It’s that good!
Note: If you do not have any seabream, this recipe is also delicious with Sea Bass, Haddock, Cod and any other white fish you love!
- 4 x Sea Bream Fillets
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salted Butter
- Juice of half a lemon
For the Butter Bean Stew
- 400ml Stock - fish or chicken
- 400g tinned Cherry Tomatoes in juice
- 235g tinned Queen Butter Beans - drained and rinsed
- 200g of Tenderstem Broccoli
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 2 Courgettes - thinly sliced
- 2 Onions - chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves - crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo Pepper
- 1 jar Roasted Red Peppers - medium sliced
- 1 teaspoon Tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Optional: Chopped Parsley to serve
- 1. In a medium saucepan, add olive oil and lightly fry the onion, garlic and Aleppo pepper with paprika over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- 2. Add the tomato puree and cook for a further minute, stirring so as not to catch on the bottom.
- 3. Add the stock, tinned tomatoes, salt and sugar. Bring the stew to a boil, and add the red peppers, courgettes, broccoli and butter beans to the pan. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes on a reduced-medium heat until the sauce has thickened; season to taste.
- 4. Brush the fillets in the vegetable oil and season with salt & black pepper on both sides. Heat the knob of butter in a frying pan, and allow to melt, ensuring not to burn the butter.
- 5. Once the butter is sizzling, add the seabream to the pan skin side down. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes until the skin is golden and crispy. Carefully flip the fish over and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes.
- 6. When the fish is cooked, place the fillets on top of the stew, drizzle with lemon juice and a sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.