Warm Mackerel Salad with Beetroot, Asparagus and Avocado
This salad is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients and will give you the health boost you have been looking for.
Mackerel is an incredible oily fish. One 90g fillet provides around 5g of omega-3, which is vital for immunity, and promotes a healthy heart. It is also high in vitamins B and D, which help promote healthy bones and decrease fatigue. And that’s just the mackerel!! We love this super salad. The oily mackerel is beautifully complimented by the earthy beetroot and hot horseradish. One try of this, and you’ll be hooked.
For the Salad
- 3x whole mackerel (substitute with mackerel fillets or smoked mackerel if you are short on time)
- 250g of natural cooked beetroot or freshly cooked beetroot cut into quarters.
- 100g mixed salad leaves (make your own or buy a bag)
- 2x avocados – ready to eat and sliced
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus – trimmed and blanched
For the Dressing
- 110ml Olive Oil
- 20ml White Wine Vinegar
- 1-2tsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt to taste
- Serve with creamed horseradish sauce
Cooking Instructions - For the Mackerel
- 1. Ensure the mackerel is well gutted and scaled.
- 2. Slash the fish 3-4 times to the bone, ensuring you do not cut the bone and place the mackerel on a lightly oiled tray. Drizzle the mackerel with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- 3. Cook directly under a preheated grill for 3-5 minutes on each side, turning only once during cooking.
- 4. The mackerel is cooked when it easily peels off the bone. If this does not happen, place the mackerel back under the grill for 2 minutes on each side. Check again to ensure it is cooked.
Cooking Instructions - For the Salad
- 5. In a large salad bowl, mix together the white wine vinegar and mustard. When combined, whisk in olive oil and salt to taste.
- 6. Add the leaves into the bowl and toss with the salad dressing.
- 7. Place the mackerel on top with the beetroot, asparagus and avocado.