Cod Loin Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
Fish tacos are a family favourite and these are a killer!
They are light and bursting with flavour and even better, super easy to make. Based on Bajo style tacos but without the deep frying, these are seasoned with a light flour coating. The red cabbage slaw perfectly complements the delicate and slightly sweet cod. The chipotle mayo adds a smokey and spicy blend creating the ultimate tacos. We've used cod but they are great with any white fish.
Ingredients for the Cod
- 4 x Cod Loin Portions
- Zest of 1 Lime
- 1 x Clove Garlic Minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder – or to your taste
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
Ingredients for Red Cabbage Slaw & Chipotle Sauce
- ½ Red Cabbage thinly shredded
- ½ bunch Coriander Chopped
- 3tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp Chipotle paste
- 4tbsp soured cream
- Squeeze Lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Soft shell tacos
- Sprinkle of chopped coriander
- Lime Wedges
- 1. Portion the cod loin as you desire. I prefer to keep mine whole to get extremely succulent pieces of fish at the end. Mix the lime juice and lime zest with minced garlic and a pinch of salt and pour over the cod loin. Mix so the cod is coated in the mixture. The cod will begin to turn white as it reacts with the acid in the lime juice, but this is normal. Put to one side.
- 2. Add the red cabbage, the chopped coriander cider vinegar and a pinch of salt to a mixing bowl, mix well and put to one side.
- 3. Using a fork, combine the dried ingredients for the cod in a shallow dish. Remove the marinaded cod from its bowl, letting excess moisture drip off. Coat the cod with the spice mix and pat on the excess to secure the coating to the fish.
- 4. Add 1 tbsp of oil to a pan on a medium heat. When the oil is hot, carefully place the coated cod pieces into the pan. Cook on one side for 5 minutes until the coating turns golden brown. Carefully flip the cod and cook for another 5 minutes on the other side. Turn the heat down if the coating starts to catch.
- 5. If you would like, you can finish the cod off in a 180°C oven for 10 minutes. The cod is cooked when it turns from translucent to white. When the cod is cooked, you can now assemble the tacos.
- 6. Add the cod – I like to flake the cod for a better taco. Add some of the cabbage and top with chipotle mayo and chopped coriander. Serve immediately and enjoy.