Fish Pie Mac n' Cheese
Fish Pie Inspired Mac n' Cheese
This is the perfect mid-week warming meal and will be loved by the whole family! We’ve used our delicious trio of fish, mixed with macaroni, the creamiest and cheesiest sauce and piled in the broccoli and peas and topped with mozzarella. The only cutting involved is prepping the broccoli so you’ll have a super easy meal ready to enjoy in no time. The traditionally smoked haddock chunks add delicious smokey undertones and the chunks of cod and salmon melt in your mouth with the cheesy sauce. It’ll instantly become a go-to family meal.
- 2x trio of fish
- 350g macaroni
- 25g butter
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 1pint milk
- 250g grated cheddar cheese
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium broccoli florets cut into same-size pieces
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Small bunch of parsley chopped
- 50g grated mozzarella
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- 2. Boil water in a large saucepan. Salt well and add the macaroni. Cook the macaroni until juts undercooked using the pack instructions. 3 minutes before it reaches that point, add the broccoli to par-cook and drain.
- 3. In a medium saucepan, add the butter and flour to make a roux. Slowly add milk into the roux and keep stirring over a medium heat. The bottom of the pan will become more slippery, this is good. This means the sauce will begin to thicken. Keep stirring well to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- 4. When the sauce has thickened, add the cheese and mix until melted. Add the mustard, pepper and salt to taste.
- 5. Add the cheese sauce to the pan with the drained pasta and broccoli. And combine well. Add the peas and parsley and stir again. When combined, add the trio of fish and combine once again.
- 6. Add the mix to a roasting dish large enough to fit the macaroni mix. Add the grated mozzarella on top and more black pepper. Place on a baking tray to catch any drips and place in the middle of the oven.
- 7. Cook for 30 minutes until the top of the macaroni mix is brown and crispy, and serve immediately. We love this on its own, served with a leafy salad or with delicious garlic bread.